Wednesday, October 14, 2015

National Folk Festival comes to town

It's already been a month since the National Folk Festival was held here in Greensboro.  I was only able to attend on the last day, but had a splendid time.




I got to see one of my favorite performers, Rhiannon Giddens.  I've been a fan since she was in a local Celtic band and now she's a famous Grammy winner.  Here she is with her sister, singing wonderful harmonies.  The audience was often invited to sing along.  Can I now say I have sung in concert with her? Though it's a good thing she had a microphone and I didn't.



These are members of the San Francisco Taiko Dojo with Grand Master Seiichi Tanaka.  This was a great, energetic performance that earned an enthusiastic standing ovation.



Then a stage with a group of Piedmont and Blue Ridge artists.  Rhiannon again with fellow Carolina Chocolate member Justin Robinson.  Thomas Maupin, a buck dancer, who spoke about music and dance in a very touching way.  Sheila Kay Adams, who tells stories and sings acapella Appalachian ballads.  Wayne Henderson, who makes and plays guitars.  They would take turns performing or talking and one of them mentioned how string band music was originally dance music, so they all took turns dancing as the others played.








2 comments:

  1. What fun - I would love to have seen that. I know about buck dancing, used to do some when I lived in Asheville.

    ReplyDelete