Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Amanda by Iris, and the End of a Challenge


This is the Amanda doily from Iris Niebach's book Tatted Doilies.  Iris is a designer I truly admire.  She has such distinctive style you can usually know a design is hers just by glancing at it.  Reading over the pattern before beginning was confusing at first, until I realized that the first repeat was worked differently than the rest.  By doing that, she had cleverly arranged the sequence so that it could be worked all in one pass.  The long chains were a bit challenging, but over all it was a delight to make.  It measures about  7 1/2 inches across in size 30 thread.  This is another of the books from Akacia press, which I have recommended before.


I've counted up and decided that this makes the end of my current 25 Motif Challenge.  When Sharon proposed the challenge, the rule was simply to make any 25 motifs within a year, but some of us have given ourselves additional constraints to make it more, um, challenging.  My challenge this time was to count only motifs from the books on my shelf, since some of them go too long without being opened.  I'm sure I took more than a year, but I have reached 25 at last.  When I reach the end of a challenge, the only thing to do is to start another.  Next time I will do vintage patterns from before 1925.

Happy New Year

10 comments:

  1. Well this came out really well, and I agree with you on her style, you can tell it is hers right off the bat. I herd on another blog someone got to meet her and I was a little jealous :) Your next idea sounds great for the new year can't wait to view, and have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda is beautiful! I agree with you about Iris's designs. I find them fascinating. Congratulations on finishing your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is truly gorgeous! A non-tatting friend gave me that book for Christmas, I can't wait to start and that looks like a great one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Well done on finishing your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dieses Deckchen sieht sehr hübsch aus und ist prima geknüpft! Gefällt mir sehr gut.
    Lieben Gruß Cornelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous doily, I was given this back back last year so far I have nit had time to tat any. Congratulations on finishing your challenge. I was working out the other day how many books I had and like you some have not been opened for a while, I was thinking of making the next challenge to do something from every book but you have already done it. Your new challenge sounds very challenging as those patterns are written differently to the modern ones. I wish you good luck with it and look forward to seeing what you tat.
    Happy new year
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.

    Oh wow.

    This is spectacular. To say this is gorgeous doesn't do it justice. Lovely work. And Iris is a truly gifted designer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is beautifully tatted, and a dramatic design. :)
    I will enjoy the vintage challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! I like this idea of making the challenge more...challenging...:) beautiful work on this doily, too!

    ReplyDelete