Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tischband


Here is my completed Tischband motif for Umi&Tsuru's Tat Along. Several of the other participants said they had trouble getting the pieces to fit together. I had wondered if the way they were joining the flower chains to the round below instead of to the base of the center rings altered the size of the flowers and threw off the proportions, but no, that wasn't it. I hoped to have better luck with the way I had made my joins, but as I added in the leaves, my motif also was too crowded. (It looks better now after blocking and ironing.) The flowers might have fit better if I had joined to the picots next to the middle ones instead. I looked back at the book's photograph to see if I had misunderstood where to join. My conclusion? Though the pattern for "Blute 1" has 6 rounds, in this design, the photo seems to show flowers of only 5 rounds! Will someone else look at their book to check if I am imagining this? No wonder the pieces won't fit.

Anyway, I've admired the Scharf leaf motif for years, and I'm glad I've finally worked some. I think I will claim the leaves as another motif for my 25 Motif Challenge. This books still calls to me to make some of the doilies some day.

12 comments:

  1. Very pretty in your natural colour. Nice and classy. I still need to make 2 leaves to finish my motif.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been wondering if I should try this in a cream color - yours is lovely! I think it looks great. I'm worried about joining my last two leaves and not having them fit - yikes. My iron is ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your completed motif is beautiful, Martha! Spring break starts for us this Friday, and I'm hoping to work on the leaves this weekend. Seeing what others have been able to accomplish sure makes it tempting to drop everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautifull piece of tatting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha, you are right.

    I re-checked the book as well, when I was tatting the leaves, as I had noticed the discrepancy initially, but tatted the flower's six rows anyway.

    The photo does indeed show six rows in that flower - in SOME patterns only, as on the back cover of the book - and she calls it flower 1, on the page where she displays the 3 flowers.

    Our pattern has only 5 rows, but is the same pattern as Flower1. Her photo of our pattern has only 5 rows.

    All confusing, unless you go by the photos. If you tatted 5 rows, the leaf would not be so tight. I had the same problem with space for the leaves.

    I do not know why I did not trust the photos! Blind obedience to patterns is definitely a no-no if there are pics!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martha,

    I did have a look at the pattern again. You are right. The written pattern calls for Blute 1 which is actually 6 rounds but the photo of the Tischband tatted up in the book only has 5 rounds. This would explain it.

    I will put a note for those who are just about to start the Tischband Tat Along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks beautiful, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is lovely! the feel is vintage than modern, as is the case with the others in the tat-along. interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks very nice - I like it in cream. Classic. I also like how you made the join in the flowers, it gives it added dimension. I may have to try another flower like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Martha, That is gorgeous!.....also Happy International Tatting Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this Martha. Now wouldn't it be stunning in green shades for leaves and vibrant colors for flowers. I love this!!

    ReplyDelete