Monday, December 05, 2011

Sharing

I want to share with you my secret... my secret for finding books. How often have you looked in vain for an old book; how often have you bought one only to find it cheaper at another dealer? Yeah, me too. That's why I am grateful for Bookfinder.com. It searches all the book dealers and gives you the location with price and postage for all the copies it finds. I've used it for both new and used books. I've gotten Beeton's Book of Needlework for a dollar plus postage, and a Jasper Fforde novel available in the UK but not the US. If you keep your eyes open, you might be the first to see and grab a bargain like a Mary Konior for 10 pounds.

A few disclaimers: Bookfinder does not always calculate postage accurately (depends on how the seller's site is set up), so be careful at checkout. Copies in other countries may be listed, but there is no guarantee that they will ship to your country. Bookfinder searches book dealers, but not other shops, so you may find books (especially recently out of print or privately published) in tatting supply sites that Bookfinder doesn't see.

My most recent acquisition was this little gem from Germany:


Published in 1920, it is public domain, so I arranged through Georgia to share it through the "Archive of Tatting Books in Public Domain"

Here it is in two parts:


http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/eleonoreendrucks-leichtensternschiffchenspitzenbook1920.pdf


http://www.georgiaseitz.com/public/endrucksinsertsdiagrams.pdf

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:32 AM

    Holy Mackerel, Martha! Gem is right! Look at those diagrams!! The block tatting. Identification of shuttle 1 and shuttle 2. The cover piece is gorgeous! Thank you immensely for sharing with us all! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this little book and I was happy to be able to share it. I thought I had come up with something new when I started using "switchback" rows in my block tatting critters, but here is the same technique in 1920, and used so beautifully and flamboyantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use abebooks.com a lot too - great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookfinder searches abebooks, plus exlibris, amazon, and lots of others. Abebooks is probably better for subject searches though.

    ReplyDelete